Sunday, May 13, 2018

le negociant

1 oz Rhum Agricole (Rhum Clement Premiere Canne)
1 oz Byrrh Grand Quinquina
1/2 oz St. Germain (St. Elder)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

Two Sundays ago, I was inspired by a thread about St. Germain recipes on Facebook to make a recipe called Le Negociant. I was able to trace the recipe back to 2012 post on eGullet that cited the back of the Byrrh Quinquina bottle as the source of the recipe. When I checked my recent bottle, the two recipes on the back were not this one; since it reminded me of Misty Kalkofen's Maximilian Affair, I was game to give it a try. The French name certainly matched the three French (or French isle) ingredients in the mix.
Le Negociant gave forth a rose-like scent from the elderflower being modulated by the Byrrh's grape in addition to a grassy note from the rhum. Next, the lemon and grape danced on the sip, and the swallow continued on with grassy, floral, and bitter quinine flavors.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Interesting drink, but I found it a little too tart and the elderflower a bit too dominant.