Monday, February 12, 2018

jungle grog

2 oz Dark Rum (Coruba)
2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Campari
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Grenadine
1/4 oz Allspice Dram (Hamilton's)

Shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug or tall glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with Tiki intent.

Using the Tiki the Snow Away month as inspiration, I thought about riffs of the Jungle Bird that I could do. Fixating on Campari as a common ingredient, I then honed in on my Negroni-Navy Grog mashup, the Negroni Grog as well as the original Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic Navy Grogs, and I proceeded to design a merger of the two concepts. Instead of the honey in my Grog, I opted for grenadine that worked well with Campari as "bittersweet" in the Freaky Tiki and the night before's Isla Tortuga. Indeed, the pairing of grenadine and amaro was one that Trader Vic utilized with Amer Picon in the Jayco, Kahala Cooler, and other drinks. For a name, instead of the Navy Bird, I dubbed this one the Jungle Grog.
The Jungle Grog presented a tropical nose along with dark rum funk notes. Next, the sip's lime, grapefruit, and rum's caramel was chased by funky rum, pineapple, and berry-bitter orange "bittersweet" flavors on the swallow with a pineapple and allspice finish.

No comments: