Saturday, November 11, 2017

legendre mint julep

1 Tbsp Water (1/2 oz)
1 tsp Bar Sugar (2 Demerara Sugar Cubes)
3-4 sprig Mint
1 oz Bourbon (2 oz Fighting Cock 103)
2 dash Jamaican Rum (1/4 oz Smith & Cross)
1 dash Herbsaint (1/8+ oz)

Muddle mint with sugar and water (I dissolved the sugar before adding the mint to muddle). Add the rest of the ingredients, remove the muddled mint, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish with fresh mint sprigs and fruit (omit fresh fruit).
Two Saturdays ago, my search for that evening's drink led me to Trader Vic's 1972 Bartender's Guide. In the Julep section, I was lured in by the Legendre Mint Julep named after J. Marion Legendre who helped to create the absinthe-substitute Herbsaint in New Orleans circa 1934 after learning how to make absinthe while in France during World War I. Besides the Herbsaint, the Julep contained the classic trio of Bourbon, mint, and sugar along with a dash of Jamaican rum which I often include in my Mint Juleps and Smashes. Once prepared, the Legendre Mint Julep shared a glorious mint bouquet to the nose. Next, a malt sip proffered a hint of vegetalness, and the swallow accented the Bourbon with a touch of rum funk and ended with a mint and anise finish. Indeed, the Herbsaint complemented the mint notes as they have in the Pliny the Elder and Pontarlier Julep.

1 comment:

New Orleans Absinthe History said...

I have a little info on the Legendre Mint Julep you might find interesting.

The drink originated in all of the Legendre Herbsaint recipe booklets published from 1934, into the early 1950s Sazerac Co. era. (Including the inaugural Legendre Absinthe booklet)

I'm guessing Trader Vic lifted the recipe from one of the booklets, probably given to Trader Vic by J. Marion Legendre, as J.M. Legendre would promote Herbsaint whenever possible.

I'd be glad to email a pdf copy of the 1944 booklet, drop me a line via my website.
Regards
Jay www.neworleansabsinthehistory.com